Timber decking has become increasingly popular as a way to maximise living space.
An elevated deck is ideal for sloping blocks. With the addition of bi-fold doors you can extend your interior entertaining area seamlessly into the great outdoors. Decks are also ideal where a concrete or brick construction would be too expensive. You can also use a deck to cover an old concrete patio or as an alternative to pavers. But make sure you are aware of council regulations before you start building.
Timber used on decks must be able to resist the elements. So it is important that you use timber specifically treated for outdoor conditions. ProRent have found Bensons Home Timber & Hardware to be the most helpful with advise and price, you can find them at website.
• Compared to hardwood, softwood such as pine has low durability unless it is treated.
• Fortunately softwood can be used in all decking and pergola situations provided that it is properly treated.
• For example, timber used for ground posts needs to be stronger and more resilient than the timber used for the floor of the deck.
• Treated softwood (usually pine) is the most cost effective and popular timber option.
• Hardwood is the strongest choice for decking timber.
• Hardwood is generally more expensive than softwood.
• It is naturally resilient to insect damage and usually possesses a richer timber hue than softwood.
• Often hardwood is hard to treat but its natural durability means that it will stand the test of time.
• It is recommended that hardwood be seasoned (usually kiln-dried).
• Varieties of hard wood popular for decking include Asian hardwood Bartu and Jarrah.
• As with softwood it is important to protect hardwood decks by staining them regularly with a good quality timber finish such as decking oil or timber stain.
Your deck can become an extension of your living area. By building it adjacent to your living room and using bi-fold doors, you can create an entertainment area that can be used year-round. If the kitchen is nearby, all the better.
• natural beauty is highly appealing
• natural timber has natural imper fections
• Legal and illegal deforestation occurring
• merbau is fast disappearing
• Time consuming and expensive maintenance
• degradation of a timber deck will quickly advance wi thout regular maintenance
• Toxic chemicals and preservat ives used in the staining, paint ing and oiling of timber decks
• maintenance requirements will negatively impact the environment
• maintenance requirements will negatively impact your lifestyle
• comprises wood waste and recycled plastic
• no deforestation involved
• Low maintenance option
• designed not to rot, split or warp
• Water resistant
• Termite resistant
• enhanced UV protection
• manufactured for consistency
• Looks like timber
• Handles like timber
• Weathers well